Friday, May 30, 2008

Sometimes You Have To Find...

The golden light in a situation..........

Today was Zachary's UGI. I couldn't feed him from midnight until after the test was done so this of course means the child had nothing in his tummy since dinner and was starved. I was amazed at how well he did on his ride to the hospital. He started grunting, whining, crying for his cup, I calmly explained to him why he couldn't have it and that they would feed him (YUCK barium) at the hospital. Zach immediately calmed down -- Now if this was happening even last month he wouldn't have understood my words!!! Zach never fails to amaze me from day to day!

While at the hospital Zach was a doll, just sitting on my lap, so very well behaved. We got called up to do our paper work and them man recognized us from last week. He was so kind to Zach (and myself), he flashed Zach a smile and Zach responded to him with a quick smile, little giggle, and then a turn of the head. We had to take a seat and wait to be called in. While waiting a little girl named Emma came up to Zach - Zach does not interact with children (besides his sister), but I was very friendly to her and talking to him - he allowed me to put him on the ground standing. He wasn't able to go by her or even really look at her, but just standing on the ground, back pushed hard up against my legs, with her nearby was such a huge step for him. Again Zach never fails to amaze me day to day!

When we went back for the test - Zach was fine. We got in the room, changed him into his gown, and had to sit him on the table - when the Dr came in we had to lay him down and the machine was pulled overhead so it was almost tent like and he had to lay there, drink when told to do so (which meant us taking the cup from him when he had to stop), the tech and I had to roll him from side to side when told to do so.

He shut down as soon as the machine was overhead- didn't cry, didn't make a single sound - just wasn't there. He allowed us to do everything for him without a peep or even a glance for help, his eyes were vacant, Zachary was gone once again from me. As much as it hurts to see your child leave their own body at a time like today you have to find the golden light. Better a quiet, non-flipping out child then the opposite. It doesn't hurt so bad when you know Zach was using his SPD as a coping mechanism and we were able to finish the whole test in under an hour.

We will have the answers from this test on Monday when we head to Zach's first appointment with the GI.

1 comment:

KoriG said...

I'm so glad it went well. I know how much you've been dreading this testing. So hard I'm sure, but sometimes there are little silver linings around those thunderstorms!!