Tuesday, June 3, 2008

All About Monday

My in-laws are in town so I've found it very hard to get on here the past couple of days.
Catch up: Our weekend was fun and everyone was healthy!

Now for Monday...
Zachary had an appointment with the GI and the Nutritionist. It was a good office (we see one of the other GI's for Zoe there as well) but this was the first time I walked in and they took us right back. Zach weight in at 19lbs 11.4oz the first time and was re-weighed by the Dr after he had eaten a little and was at 20lbs 4oz. His height was 31in.

The preliminary results were in from the UGI and the conclusion says "Delayed gastric emptying due to pylorospasm. No other significant findings are noted" The Dr was rather worried about this but said "it could be a real problem or be from an infection" Only thing is all the blood test that Zach has had done lately show NO sign of an infection. Dr Evan's didn't want to discuss treatment until we know 100% if it is a problem since he said "treatment can be pretty rough and I don't want to put anymore worry on you until we know for sure".

Of course being the nut I am and having reports in hand I Googled and found info on what the UGI was indicating the problem to be - here are 2 links.....

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gastroparesis/index.htm

http://wwwp.medtronic.com/Newsroom/LinkedItemDetails.do?itemId=1101836121811&itemType=fact_sheet&lang=en_US

Because we need to find out 100%, we are at "Plan A". Zach is having a series of lab tests run (blood work and urine), an ultrasound abdomen complete (6/12), a nuclear medicine emptying scan (6/18), and an upper GI endoscopy with biopsy (6/17). Dr Evan's didn't want to overwhelm us with testing -HA - sure sounds like a lot to me -- but there is a "Plan B", he wouldn't even head there with me yet.
Not only is the Dr concerned with the possibility of the delay in emptying but all of Zach's symptoms are characteristics of Celiacs Disease - so the biopsy will determine if that is playing a factor into Zach's problems as well it will also be able to detect if Zach has any other food allergies affecting him that his regular allergy tests aren't coming up with.

The Nutritionist, um, well, yeah, I found her to be a waste of time. I think she will be a wealth of information if we need to/decide to put Zach on a Gluten Free diet. BUT for now she didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Even she found it hard to give me ideas because of how sever Zach's milk allergy is (we carry an epi) and most things to help promote weight gain have some form of milk in them. However I did find out that he should be getting 1075 calories a day (which if he doesn't - it is pretty darn close) and 17 grams of protein (which he gets more then that) She was also very shocked at the amount of knowledge I had regarding everything that Zachary is going threw and how this whole time I've been doing the right thing and he just isn't growing.

I'm ending this on --- "WHY is he so small?" both of the issues the GI is suspecting at this point would cause absorption issues which will give us our answers. For right now I know I'm feeding him what he needs and he is still failure to thrive. He will get better - this GI is on it!!!!!!

No comments: