Thursday, May 15, 2008

Week 3 Day 3: ST

Everyone is so much better in our house today! Zoe went to school, Zach and I played a while and then it was off to ST before picking up Zoe....

As soon as we walked in the door a little boy who was in a session started screaming and crying. Zach HATES this -- he doesn't know what to do. When it gets too bad Zach turns off, just about completely. Today ended up Zach sitting in my lap stiff as a board. I asked - "do you want to play?" and he would slowly nod his head, then I gently pushed him off my lap so he was standing (the other little boy is still screaming) Zach pushes back on my legs as hard as he can. Zach wouldn't go play, he just stood there, staring at the ground, with a look on his face as if he were gone.

I'm sitting there a bundle of nerves - I don't know why. Two other mothers were waiting for the children - the one was the mother of the screaming boy. I could feel my legs start to bounce the way they always do when I'm upset. Again, I don't know why...was it because these mom's could see my child being different, or was it because I just wanted to make the screaming boy stop - so Zach would be okay? Most likely a combination of both. These other mothers that were there are also dealing with the same things I am, I know this (because I asked), and I know this is the one place we can go and feel like part of our normal world - where almost all of the children are special needs and their quirks are a welcomed quality.

A moment later Ms. Kristin walks out with 2 other therapists and the little boy who Zachary heard screaming, ahead of them. Normally Zach is all about seeing her, not today! Zach will normally walk right behind her grinning from ear to ear - not today! Today, he cried. I tried to take his hand, he wouldn't take it. Ms Kristin picked him up with a friendly smile, he wouldn't look at her, he looked over her shoulder to me and then to the ground (I kept a smile on my face - as much as I wanted to cry seeing my son this way) he cried until his face was turning blue and sound wasn't coming out. As we got back to our quiet room he took a minute and a hug from me to get himself back together. Then it was all play. The only difference was -today Zach wanted in my lap almost the whole time. He did well considering the start we had to today's session - nothing new to really put in here.

One day this blog will be filled with a ton of NEW things Zachary did! I know it will!

1 comment:

KoriG said...

Sounds like a difficult start to your day!
Glad he was able to settle in and work well though!