Thursday, July 10, 2008

Last Day of Week 11

Another week has come to an end for Zach and therapy. I can hardly believe we are going on almost 3 months of therapy already.

Overall I'd have to say this week went really well, in comparison to his last 2 weeks. Zachary is definitely having some more issues and I still can't find the words to let it out on here yet.

ST was good. The therapy place was so quiet, it was really good for Zach. He did good, his focus was there and there were times you could really see his brain trying to figure out how to let the sounds out of his mouth. This is amazing to see, and so hard for me to describe. It is so very emotional to watch happening.

At the end of his session Ms. Kristin along with 2 other SLP's and I had a long talk about introducing an alternative form of communication to Zach's daily routine. For now we are going to start with a picture board, but we were also discussing what to do if that doesn't work for him or if he gets worse. If that happens we would be looking in to computer devices, I asked about pricing and holy cow - the prices are insane the two different ones she showed me they have in their office were over $1,000 and the other was close to $10,000. They did let me know that most times insurance will cover a large percentage of the cost of the AAC (alternative augmentative communications). That really gets me when it becomes a possibility that my son may need a machine to help him have a voice and insurance will cover that but they won't cover any more then 10 ST sessions a year! That wouldn't even be a months worth of Zach's sessions.

On to make my list of words I need turned into pictures.

No comments: