Friday, June 27, 2008

Week 9 Is Almost Over

What a week it has been....

We missed one day of ST due to my car misbehaving (UGH) it is all better now. That day also happened to be Wednesday and a very off day for my little Zach. I couldn't get any eye contact out of him and nothing much more then 'hiiiiiiii" all day long - oh and a bunch of whining, and crying. I couldn't even get the child to use any signs, or look at my hands for signs. It was a very frustrating day and one where he really needed to be at therapy.

Yesterday we did make it to ST and it was another bad session. At this point I feel like we've taken 5 steps forward only to take 10 steps backwards. Ms. Kristin had to be stern again, Zach was all over the place and had no attention span for anything she tried to do with him. She is questioning if he is starting to get some behavioral problems as well. I'm told this is common for children with Zachary's issues. It is just so hard to watch - everyday, your child who seemed so much better, getting worse - sometimes day by day - but the past couple days it is down to hour by hour, minute by minute - I never know how he is going to react to anything.

Today we have OT and I am planning on trying to talk to Ms. Jerry about all of this. I don't know what more we can do besides add more therapy time - which I know he really needs.

Last night I had the pleasure of being without Zach for a while - it was nice. Tracy, Phyllis, and myself took our three girls for a long 40 minute drive to dress rehearsal, that was only supposed to go until 7:30 but instead ran from 5:30 - 8:30. We had 3 tired girls and 3 tired Moms by the time it was all over. Thank goodness for McDonald's before hand, snacks for afterwards and 3 little girls who get along so well! Rehearsal time is always so hectic. I get to look forward to going back tonight from 5:30 - 9:30 (well if it runs on schedule) - note my sarcasm ;-)

When I got home Doug and I had a nice long talk about what is happening with Zach and all of his concerns - this is good because, so often, we try to avoid this conversation. I think it was great for Doug to be with Zach, all alone for 5 hours -- he was able to see more clearly what I've been dealing with.

Doug said Zach was wonderful when we were gone, no crying, or really fussing. He couldn't get him to eat dinner - but that is no surprise on certain days. Doug said Zach still sat at the table while he ate and just played with his food. Doug also told me how hard it is to watch his son - having such a hard time with things. There were no words spoken from Zach last night besides "b,b,b,b,b,b,b" and "ma,ma,ma,ma,ma" no signs used. For once I could see the real frustration and concern in Doug's eyes. That face that always remains so strong is being broken down. As strange as this may sound to some of you this is what I've been waiting for this...waiting.....

1 comment:

KoriG said...

So glad Doug is starting to really realize...and more importantly, discuss with you!
Sorry about the bad therapy week!! I still think he's off from the surgeries and stuff....hoping next week is a good one for you!!