Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Appointments Galore an Update

So this week really started off with a huge BANG getting back into a routine is very hard around here, especially for Zach.

Monday started with getting ready for school....we sure weren't ready for that cold weather we've been getting (yuck). As if that weren't enough I still had to change Zach's day around by picking him up at school for his first appointment of the new year.

First stop, to see Ms. Kristin, Zach's dietitian. I was really worried about how he was growing because he hasn't been getting all his feeds in. WELL....he surprised me and was doing well. He gained a bit of weight 2 whole pounds YAHOO but his height stayed steady - this is okay for now. Kristin was a bit taken back by Zach's new issues as we were in her office and seemed to grow quite concerned with it. As he wasn't talking and when he did decide to share his voice it was his hands talking in different voices. We spent a good hour talking about what was happening. Kristin reassured me we were doing the right thing getting a psychological evaluation done, and told me what a great person the doctor is that we will be seeing. I also found out that they have weekly meetings (the GI department and the psychology department) Kristin will be informed of his progress and what we need to do as a feeding team. Kristin certainly put my mind at ease about all this new stuff going on, she is really a wonderful person!

Next step was home to get Zoe and onto speech......OH BOY was that a total disaster! Since his SLP is still kind of new to us and Zach is still new to her - let's just say it wasn't his best session ever. With Zach's SPD being so bad....his SLP just wasn't getting it. As much as I was saying "we better stop he is going into an overload" she kept letting him go. I was so very frustrated. He hardly did any ST because he was too busy with the sand and then the play-doh -- it all sent him for the biggest loop I have seen in a long time!

When that was all said and done I had to stop at the grocery store. What a mistake that was! Zachary screamed the entire time we were in the store. I've never endured so many awful looks and comments in my life. No matter what I was doing to try and calm him it wasn't working. By the time we got home he was nonverbal and finally at one point asked "I doh do bed now?" Poor little man was totally ready to shut down (it was only 6pm).

Tuesday morning was yet a different routine all over, which once again sent Zach into a tail spin...

We had to wake up early and get to the dentist before school. All went pretty well at the dentist. Zach went into complete shut down mode -- no talking (not even to me) and no moving. As he was laying in the chair getting his teeth cleaned he looked like this little mannequin. Sometimes I simply don't know what to think - sometimes I'm happy he gets that way and other times it just hurts so bad to watch him be that way. His hygienist (he only sees her - Amy) is an amazing person she is so kind to him and you can tell he remembers her each time we go. However, I hate hearing "he is doing so well! you should see the majority of the 3 year olds who come in here" I know he is doing better then a screaming child -- but he is doing that well because he has completely left his own body --- I'm starting to wonder if that is really doing well or if it is really doing worse.

Zach was excited to get to school and somewhat back into what he knows as his normal routine.

When he got home it was off to therapy. He had ST first and did slightly better then the day before. BUT not by too much. He did a lot of saying "I no no" when he didn't want to answer. He did a lot of NO eye contact and a lot of only doing what he wanted to do. I wish Ms. Andrea would be a little harder on him and not let him rule the session.

After that it was OT time and boy was he happy to be back with Ms. Jerry! As soon as he saw her it was BIG hugs for her. She had written up his 6 month report...which made me a little sad. I don't have a copy yet because we decided to add some more to it. When I do I'll post more on what has me upset. Funny you take all these steps forward but somehow we always manage to take just as many or more backwards - HUMPH!

Today is the first day of getting back on Zach's normal routine....I hope it is going well at school ;-)

No comments: