Friday, September 18, 2009

New News...Not So Good

I hate writing this, it breaks my heart! BUT i need to get it out and this is where I do that.

It breaks my heart that this is not about Zach but about Zoe and her struggles we are facing. How much can we handle?!?!?

I noticed a while ago something was amiss with Zoe but I chalked up to some kids are just that way......

First thing we noticed was Zoe's smell -- just like an adult. My mom told me I was smelly as a kid too.......so I let it be.

Second thing we noticed was all the leg hair........I don't remember being that way when I was a kid.....so I let it be.

Third thing we noticed was just this past weekend.........she is starting to get hair under her arms........this I knew could not be right so I checked further......

Forth thing we noticed was the start of pubic hair........now I know this isn't right at 6 1/2 years old.

I took her to the doctor and had her look her over........we were not seeing things.

The doctor sent us right to the children's hospital for a quick x-ray of her hand and wrist to determine her bone age. Then we waited for the test to come back........not even 24 hours later the results were in - her bone age is older then it should be :( This is not okay!

I go the call and was told to get in with the endocrinologist ASAP. Too bad the first appointment isn't until November 16th.

We are headed to the pediatrician today for Zach's 3 year check up and also another appointment for Zoe. As far as I know the next step is plenty of blood tests to see what is happening with her hormones.

From what I've been told this seems to be precocious puberty http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/precocious-puberty/DS00883
Now we wait for all the next steps to be taken to stop whatever is happening to my little girl!

As I sit here I wonder if back at the end of the school year when Zoe was so sick, if her low WBC count had anything to do with this. I have so many questions that I have to wait to get the answers.

Please if you pray say a little prayer for her! If you think positive thoughts please send her good vibes! I know this won't kill her but I also remember just how hard puberty is to go threw and I know this is NOTHING a 6 1/2 year old should have to deal with -- she is just a kid, and deserves to be just that ---- a kid....for as long as she can!

2 comments:

Annette W. said...

So sorry to hear this, Sophie. Though it's not what you would ever wish for, I will pray for your strength and wisdom for her treatment.

I have a friend who's preschooler (age 3, I think) also has this (or something similar with premature puberty. It's hard for them, too, but they don't let it muddle their lives, though it's a big part of it.

@ColoradoMom said...

HUGS! It sucks how the peds always want things done ASAP, as we do, then the specialty docs take forever to get into! I hope there is a cancellation and you can get in sooner!!