Wednesday, September 2, 2009

How To Deal With SPD

In the sheets Ms. Jerry printed out there is also the intervention information that we use on a daily basis. I thought I'd share it so again you can get a feel of A Day In the Life of Zach.

SMD
Over-responsiveness
  • Provide organization/structure and prepare a child ahead of time for changes.
  • Encourage calming sensory events, and avoid "overwhelming" ones (certain fabrics, loud noises, foods)
  • Provide "heavy work" activities and rhythmic exercises during play (swinging) to help system organize and process
  • Use brushing technique followed by joint compressions and/or weighted vests during activities.

Sensory Seeking

  • Use strenuous activity such as pushing, pulling, climbing, roiling and deep pressure for calming and proprioceptive input.
  • Use treats that require a great deal of oral motor control (sucking pudding threw a straw, raw carrots, gummy candy)
  • Have activities available for down-time and use a therapy ball as a chair to increase attention focus.

SBMD
Dyspraxia
  • Provide organization and maintain a "simple" environment free of clutter and unnecessary items.
  • Create a schedule or a goal sheet for positive reinforcement; Use deep pressure to increase body awareness.
  • Maximize child's strengths and minimize activities that require a great deal of motor planning.

Postural Disorder

  • Engage in activities that strengthen the core of the body (lay on floor and dray pictures)
  • Often associated with other sensory areas - focus on activities that target extent of issues.

2 comments:

@ColoradoMom said...

I'm so glad to have found your blog! My son recently got the dyspraxia/developmental coordination disorder diagnosis and reading your blog I find myself nodding my head and just happy to have found someone else going through the same issues. My guy is younger, he's just shy of 18 months. Thank you for sharing your life with others like this. I don't feel quite so alone in dealing with it all.

Sophie said...

Emily I don't know if you will see this but I wanted to say "Hi"
Go back to the very begining of my blog (if you haven't already) I started thes when Zach was about 18 months old --- that was the very first time we heard the words dyspraxia. Although all our therapist and doctors did not label him until he was 2 (including a DP who said this is really the earliest you can give an oficial dx)
I'm really glad you don't feel all alone from reading Zach's story! It also makes me not feel so alone helping another family ;-)