Tuesday, July 28, 2009

AND He IS Going to Pre-K

I didn't get on yesterday with an update...it was such a mentally draining day! Six hours spent with the board figuring out Zachary's future wiped all of us out! The day started nice and early at 8am for the meeting and did not end until 2pm.

We were told because of all of Zach's resent evaluations from his therapists they would not have to run their own tests but when we got there that had decided best to do their own.

First step in the room and Zach was glued to us until he saw we were talking with these people and it was OK to go to the other side of the room - we weren't leaving BUT he needed to be reminded all was okay.

He went with Miss Tori (school psychologist) to start her testing. To our (and their surprise) Zach worked for over 2 hours taking tests. He stayed as focused as he could.

When all was said and done Zach tested for them at the same levels he's tested at therapy for fine motor, and gross motor......on target. For speech and language he tested also the same as his SLP has gotten. Above age range receptively and low average for expressive with a large gap in between the two. His articulation was well below where it should be.

What was the biggest surprise of every one's day was the test for his cognitive ability ------ he finished the whole book which at the end had him asking questions an 7 year old should be able to answer! Yep I said 7 year old WOW and YIKES!!!

Where he really lacked was with his adaptive or self-help development he had a 24% delay, and his self care age equivalent was 1 yr 6 mts old. He had a 26% delay with his social or emotional development.

After the testing was done we broke for an hour so the team could write their report and decide what services Zachary would receive. We got back about 5 minutes before we were to come back thinking they'd be done --- NOPE it took another 45 minutes and a couple different people talking to different people on the phone to make the final decision as to what services Zachary would receive.

When we got there the talk was leaning towards no school and continuing with speech a couple days a week in the school setting. BUT it was obvious 2 of the 3 ladies were pulling for school - it was just that his deficits weren't that bad. When all was said and done we walked out of there with Zach in ESE Pre-K 5 days a week from 8am-3pm and his first IEP in our hands.

One worry Doug and I had was the school he would attend....as I've said before the one we are zoned for only has one nurse. BUT as it turns out the team had the same worry and because of Zach's medical needs they have to place him in the safest environment.....which was the school we wanted AND because they 'had' to place him there they also HAVE to provide transportation (which was another worry because Zoe and Zach will be at different schools at the same time -- I had no clue how I was to be at the school to pick up Zach and at home waiting for Zoe to get off the bus)

My only complaint of the day was the SLP and the psychologist both saying to me my son is not dyspraxic and does not suffer from SPD - that he just refuses to do things or talk because he is 2 almost 3 years old ----- these women had known my son for all of an hour when this was said and it really rubbed me the wrong way!!!! My son DOES have dyspraxia and DOES have SPD, you can ask his doctors, you can ask his therapists, you can ask his grandparents OR you could simply ask me about my son and I do know him best. I plan on spending time with his teacher and letting her get to know him and his struggles with dyspraxia and SPD. When we got home I was talking to my FIL and telling him what they said - I had never seen him so irked about a comment made by a professional --- he simply said "you can tell the difference between a 2 year old who refuses and Zach who struggles!! -- Zach does have these things and now it is up to you and Doug to bring it to the teacher and staff's attention at his school -- BUT they will see it in a day of having him in the class"

Everything really came together yesterday and worked to Zach's advantage! Now the stress of preparing him for school and the bus begins..............BUT all will be fine in the end!!!!!

2 comments:

Annette W. said...

Sophie, I'm so glad he'll be in a school! I'm glad you have such a smart cookie, but I hope he will soon have the words to show it too! I just sent in the paperwork for Meghan's evaluation. Now we wait.

Faith Without Sight said...

Just one more year and I will have to go through that. It is awesome to know that Zach did so well...