Thursday, October 30, 2008

ER Visit

Last night was the most awful night of my life!

Zach was fussing at 10 pm so I went in to check on him -- he was wrapped in his extension to his pump - so I lifted him out of his crib as I did so he started screaming and squirming. I went to move him slightly so I could help and as I did..........POP - out came his brand new button, with a full balloon (the balloon is what holds the button in place).
I screamed for Doug and I'm so thankful he is calm in a crisis - I ran to get the emergency supplies while he tried to calm Zachary. When I found them - Doug was the hero, the one who was able to stick the catheter in place. As soon as that was done it was off for the ER at our Children's Hospital.

Our experience there was awful! We were sent home without even a real look at Zach's stoma. They told us to call our surgeon in the morning...................UGH

SO the morning came and I called our Dr who said come in ASAP. We got there just in the nick of time because the catheter that we put in place balloon had dissipated. Lucky Zach's surgeon was able to get another button put in. He sent us over to the Children's Hospital (the clinic and hospital are attached) for a test to be done STAT and said "if this shows anything I will take him in for an emergency surgery" Thankfully the test was all clear and as the Dr put it "we dodged a bullet this time"

For now there will be no more night time feeds as Zach moves too much and this will likely happen again if we continue with the feeds overnight. Zach will now have 4 feeds during the day - hopefully soon we will be able to get them where they will only be an hour each, but we need to move slowly to see if he can tolerate them.

What a night and a day it has been!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow, how scary that must have been. I'm not sure I understand all the components that are hooked up to Zach. I hope you don't have any more nights like that. What a trooper your children are. You must be so proud of them.

Tjaardas in Florida said...

That is scary. Hopefully you have no more issues with the feeding tube.

amy said...

I'm really sorry that happened! You are amazing, the way you're able to deal with all this.

Unknown said...

I feel for you, girl! What a horrible thing! I keep an ace bandage around Eli's waist, so keep the button and extension in place. But, he doesn't move much when he sleeps...so so far we are lucky...whew!