Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Yesterday 10/27/09 Another Day Another Appointment

AND of course new news......

Yesterday was Zach's follow up with his ENT. It had been close to 6 months since we had seen the ENT and at that point Zach's tubes were on the way out of his ears so with this appointment Zach had to have his hearing tested. In the past he had major issues with his hearing where he was losing it....this was before his tubes. With all his speech issues our ENT will continue to check his hearing on a regular basis.

First stop audiologist, I am very happy to report his hearing checked out just fine!

Then it was onto the ENT. The appointment proved too much for Zach with too many people in the room (our ENT had an intern shadowing him + his nurse who always comes in). Zach would not talk. The ENT checked his ears and the tubes were still just hanging out in his ear canal. They at this point were serving no purpose so out they came.....no complaints from Zach and a "WOW you are a good kid!" from the doctor.

I was able to bring up something our SLP has been wanting me to ask about - Zach's speech has become very nasally sounding, too much air is getting in as he makes most letter sounds. This was a challenge for the ENT because Zach wouldn't talk and he needed to hear his voice to tell me if this is what he does or does not have. Thank goodness for the amazing nurse who was really good at bribing Zachary into talking - just a couple words for her. The doctor was typing away on the computer and ignoring Zach so he would continue to talk. After some words came out the doctor spun around and said Zach has Velopharyngeal Dysfunction: http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/svc/alpha/v/vpi/about/vpi.htm
For now we must watch it, as he is too young for the surgery to repair it - but chances are he will get the surgery at some point. The ENT said "Speech therapy, speech therapy, speech therapy! The more the better at this point - it can't hurt and now we know he has VP, we can hope the ST will help to repair it"

So there it is, another appointment and of course, as always.....something new in our lives to contend with. I just wish all these diagnosis we have would add up to one thing so we know what is going on. I was told to make sure we let our geneticist know about this one.

Four months and we will be back in the ENT's office following up on Zach's new found diagnosis. AHHHH more appointments JOY! (yes this is sarcasm ;-)

2 comments:

Annette W. said...

Oh boy! What a day for you.

I'm working on a post now that basically shares my thoughts on how others think these medical situations are so hard. Not that they aren't, but EVERY child is a blessing. I think too many people think that a child with special needs (of any kind) would mean the special needs would become a thorn in our side. I just can't let that happen. I love my children too much. And I know you do too. Not htat life is always easy for us, but life is always a blessing.

Anyway. Just wanted you to know that I continue to pray for your little ones. Thanks for sharing that Zach has seizures too. We're doing well now...no seizures since Thursday. We have another EEG scheduled in about two weeks when he is off one of the meds.

Sophie said...

Thanks Annette!

Yep, we have stuggles - who doesn't? Ours are just very different then most people get to learn to live with ;-)

My children are by no means a thorn in my side (and I hope I never feel that way) they will always be my blessings (which BTW LOVED the new blog entry you posted)--- My life and others lives just have different types of blessings. I will say life is hard esp with SN children BUT so very worth all the hard times and struggles! My life is "normal" to me -- Though it has taken time to learn and except that is how my life is going to be.

I'm so happy to hear E is doing well!! (((HUGS))