Friday, October 23, 2009

Life's Challenges

Sometimes life throws challenges our way and we don't know why....sometimes inside those challenges may lie great rewards - if only we are patient and wait while the world spins around us.
Right now a new (not really so new, just becoming more so) challenge for Zachary is the inability to talk when his anxiety gets too much.
His day was very stressful yesterday but little man survived - he is strong!
Here is his day in pictures...

I was so close to talking but my mouth wouldn't move. Mommy was happy because at least I got close to the fireman.I got to sit in the firetruck - but I had no words. Mommy knew I was happy inside.
The fireman helped me out of the window when the smoke filled the house. Mommy said I was brave even without my words.
This is Mrs. Debbie - she had to hold me because I didn't want to be there. I couldn't talk and had to leave my Mommy so she could take pictures of all my friends and I.
We do lots of work at school - this is my H bookFor Zach, yesterday was a challenge one he overcame throughout his day. Yesterday was fire safety day at school. Zach did not want to take part in it but he did and later that day came back to himself. Until a surprise fire drill alarm rang at the very end of the school day. He was quiet when he got home, but quickly came back.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I just want to say "Hang in there!" My son Brendan is 6 and has dyspraxia. His ability to speak has blossomed since he began speech therapy last year. He was not even diagnosed until he was 5, but now speaks quite well with only one or two problems. He still stammers and has trouble getting the words to come when he is under stress of any sort. But the fact that we've come such a very long way in such a short time makes me want to share my hope with other moms and their children.

I don't know if you're familiar with Dyspraxia USA but you should take a look at their web site. They have some great information including video of two Dyspraxic brothers who live in Canada and how they are overcoming their struggles.

Good luck on your journey with Zach. He's a beautiful boy and lucky to have such a loving mommy!