Friday, June 5, 2009

How About Some Happy News: Zachary

As everyone who follow this blog knows my son was a sever verbal dyspraxic child (he is now considered mild). When he was an infant he never babbled like the typical child would. At 19 months he had his first speech session he was seen 3 days (3 hours) a week since then by his SLP, 2 days a week (2 hours) by his OT, 1 day a week (1 hour) by his PT - that is over a year of lots of therapy!

Yesterday she found her notes from Zach's very first session and gave them to me to put in his giant medical folder.

At 19 months Zach receptively was like a 9-12 month old child expressively 6-9 months old.

I'm not too sure where he is at now at 32 months BUT I know he has improved greatly!

At 19 months he could not ID pictures in a book.....at 32 months he finally can not with 100% accuracy BUT he can do it!

At 19 months he could only ID his nose....at 32 months he can ID most of his body parts.

At 19 months he could not ID any clothing.....at 32 months he now knows everything I put on him.

At 19 months he had no words....at 32 months he now enjoys telling other people "Stop Talking!" and has plenty of words.

At 19 months he could not talk....at 32 month he can talk....he still struggles, more then I'd like to see BUT he has made such amazing strides!

My son is still dyspraxic (verbal, oral, and motor).....that is something I'm not too sure he will ever fully overcome....I have hopes and I am optimistic about it though, he's come this far.

With all that is going on between health issues of both of my children it is nice to reflect on the positives that have come from a lot of hard work, sweat, tears, and most importantly determination to overcome the struggles we've been dealt!

I never thought I'd be so happy for my child to say to me "Mommy STOP talking" ;-)

No comments: