Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Frustration with Dyspraxia


For weeks I've been noticing Zachary struggling much more with his dyspraxia.
For those of you new to reading my blog you can find more information on these websites regarding dyspraxia:

By definition:
Developmental Dyspraxia (also known as Developmental Co-ordination Disorder, and the Clumsy Child Syndrome) is a neurologically based disorder of the processes involved in praxis or the planning of movement to achieve a predetermined idea or purpose, which may affect the acquisition of new skills and the execution of those already learned. More specifically, it is a disorder of praxis, or the process of ideation (forming an idea of using a known movement to achieve a planned purpose), motor planning (planning the action needed to achieve the idea), and execution (carrying out the planned movement).
I was able to talk with his OT about what has been taking place at home and she was able to experience just what I was telling her (I was happy about this because a lot of times I'll report behavior/symptoms at home and she won't get to see them for herself) basically right now Zach is regressing. His dyspraxia is rather sever (and has been) but we were seeing improvements. There is no cure for dyspraxia and it tends to be a life long struggle for those affected by it.
Today Ms Jerry started his re-evaluation of his fine motor skills using PDMS-2. I was asked to leave the room because I had to have Zoe with me and she was very distracting to Zachary. We waited and when all was said and done Ms. Jerry came out and let us know although not scored yet - he did worse then she thought he would do. It was very apparent that his friend "dyspraxia" reared his ugly face today! She also talked to me about the hopes this will prove to the schools he must have an OT in the school setting.
It is very frustrating because one month, one week, one day, one hour, one minute Zach can do something and the next month, next week, next day, next hour, next minute he can not do the same task. It affects his everyday life to the point of frustration - not just for Zach but for mommy too - really for everyone in his life.
Sometimes I just sit and wish life was different...that my son didn't have to face the struggles that he does............but if life were different we'd all be different and I don't want to change one thing!
Zach will make it over all the hurdles, all the struggles that are given to him......he is strong!

5 comments:

Annette W. said...

I like how you ended this post. We must stay positive!

Dawn said...

Hi, Sophie!

I just read your post and I can relate. My son Brendan is 6 and we're struggling with the same issues.

Keep your positive attitude!

I also wanted to ask if you have joined the Forums at Dyspraxia USA so you can talk with others who are going through the same things.

Good luck on your journey!

Sophie said...

Hi Dawn no I haven't but I'm going to look into it -- THANKS!

Yun Hee Choi said...

hi
i have severe dyspraxia. how do you guys help him?

Sophie said...

Hi Yun!
Zach is in a lot of therapy (OT, PT, ST) he has been since he was about 18 months old. He also is now in an ESE pre-k classroom where they are trying to help him.
At home there are many times where I have to physically move him or tell him to slow down when he can't stop.
How long have you been dealing with you dyspraxia -- has it been life long?