Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Learning Process

In dealing with Zach I've learned this is one huge learning process not only for Zachary but for Doug, Zoe, and myself....

We have waited months to find out what is going on with Zach - now within the past 2 weeks we finally have some diagnosis's. With learning of these issues has come the real hard times of coping with so many feelings - a learning process of sorts.

Zoe - she is a doll. A "little mother hen". What is going on with Zach is affecting her as well. Yet she is so strong and only wants to help her brother to the best of her abilities. Yesterday at therapy she was given her own set of toys to play with and when we only had 5 minutes left she was able to come a play with Zachary and Ms. Kristin. She was so good - not a peep out of her until it was her turn to help Zach. At home she does everything she can, from signing to him (and asking what some signs are if she doesn't know) to making sure he is watching her as she exaggerates the pronunciation of the words she is saying to him. She is learning when to really leave him alone and when it is okay to bother him. If Zach is around others and he is acting odd - she let's them know what is wrong with Zach by explaining, only the way a 5 year old can. She loves her little brother with all her heart. I couldn't ask for a better daughter for me or a more wonderful, caring, loving, big sister for Zachary!

As for Doug well he is taking this his own way - what that is, I really don't know yet. I know he is hurt. I know he is frustrated. I know he wants to help Zach. I know he loves Zach. I know he gets mad. He knows that people are out there with way worse situations then us, and often gets upset with me for talking or blogging about this - because "things could be worse". What I don't know is how to help Doug cope with all of this. I know he loves going to the gym and I do think that helps him as well with his stress. Hopefully I will learn how to help him threw all of this.

For me - blogging is helping. I'm also doing a ton of reading and research. Talking to my friends who understand or have been threw their own Life's Struggles has also allowed some of my stress to seem better. I also hit the gym really hard, 5-6 days a week. I've picked up running and that has also seemed to be helping.

Everyone at one time or another has Life's Struggles - for some they are simple things to overcome, for others they are harder. For us I have no idea where we will end up with our Life's Struggles but I do know we will get threw the learning process as a family!

2 comments:

spinninglovelydays said...

Hi, Sophie. I've been lurking in the Sept2006 board for almost a year now (used to be more active). Anyway, I saw your post about your blog and decided to give it a visit.
I was moved by the part about Zoe. What a wonderful sister! Both your children are very inspiring.
Anyway, just want to say too that mothers are quite formidable creatures :) So many things have become possible because of their will and love.
Will drop by again.
Blessings,
Ivy

KoriG said...

He'll deal with it on his own terms. This is a hard thing, for everyone. And like you said, he'll come to terms when he's ready. I know it's hard though. Just keep on keeping on, and he'll come around. He always does.
As for Zoe...oh girl, she is the best big sister in the world.
I still crack up at Alex trying to tell me something about Zachy and Zoe said, "It's ok, Ms. Kori knows all about it."
LOL, little mother hen!!