Thursday, May 28, 2009

All About Zoe


I'm in shock right now

For the past 2+ years my main focus has been on Zach - don't get me wrong I've focused on Zoe too, but until now her health issues seemed to be resolving themselves and she has been doing really well regards to everything else.

The past month or so she had been getting flares from her JRA....last week we had such bad weather her flare got much worse. I called her rheumatologist and she suggested we put her back on her methotrexate.

Because we put her back on a weekly shot of the methotrexate, she needed to have a baseline blood test ran, because of this test we found her WBC count is low.................backing up a little, in April for her 6th birthday she had to have some routine blood work drawn back then it also showed low WBC - at that point her pediatrician said "we just need to watch her and make sure she doesn't get sick" Zoe never got sick! Fast forward to one and a half months later her count is still low (in fact lower then it was in April).....now we have no clue if it went back up in the mean time.

I will be taking Zoe on Monday to have another blood test ran. If her levels stay the same or get lower she needs to be seen by an infectious disease doctor ASAP. Until she can get into the doctor she will also be having weekly blood tests drawn.

I am extremely worried and over paranoid about the whole thing. My Grandfather died of Leukemia. Right now the pediatrician said the other blood levels are not showing signs that it could be leukemia...but that isn't to say it couldn't show up. OR it could be something else all together a simple cold lowers your WBC count --- the only thing that worries me is she has not been sick. It could also be a sing of something wrong with her bone marrow. If it were from a flare of her JRA her WBC would be high not low.

Off to being worried as it seems that is what I do best......OH and waiting, I'm really good at waiting too...........................

2 comments:

Annette W. said...

Not that you don't already know this, and it is natural to worry, but remember that it won't change anything.

One great thing about having children with health problems is that we cherish every day.

Take care, my friend! As you wait, just enjoy your family and each day given!

Sophie said...

Thanks Annette!
I know my worry won't change anything and what will be will be.......Life at this very moment is really rough on my family right now - I am just so very thankful for every minute we all do have with one another.
Yes you are so right one of the best things that has come from having a SN child has been I've learned to cheerish so much, so very much more then the typical family will ever understand.
(((((((HUGS TO YOU))))))