Thursday, August 21, 2008

Life Stuggles, Famous People Have Dyspraxia Too

A friend of mine shared this with me today, to help me feel better about one of our struggles with Zach and I wanted to pass it along........

There was an article about Daniel Radcliffe, the guy that plays Harry Potter, that reminded me of you and Zach... http://movies.msn.com/movies/hotgossip/8-18-08_5/?GT1=28101

With his duds-doffing Broadway debut in "Equus" looming, Daniel Radcliffe is getting a few things out on the table, including his health issues. In an interview with Vogue, the "Harry Potter" star, 19, reveals how he suffers from a mild case of dyspraxia, a coordination disorder that affects motor skills (it's often mistaken for clumsiness) and can make simple tasks such as tying his shoes a challenge. "I sometimes think, 'Why, oh why, has Velcro not taken off?'" he quips to the magazine. Radcliffe says his acting career began at age 9 when his mother realized his confidence needed a kick-start and let him audition for a TV version of "David Copperfield." "I was having a hard time at school in terms of being crap at everything, with no discernible talent," admits the actor, who begins flashing his bits on the Great White Way on Sept. 5. A rep for Radcliffe confirms his dyspraxia diagnosis, telling the London Daily Mail, "This is something he has never hidden. Thankfully, his condition is very mild and at worst manifests itself in an inability to tie his shoelaces and bad handwriting."

Dyspraxia is another name for Apraxia - it is how they refer to the same disorder Zachary has in the UK and other countries. In the states you can hear Dyspraxia but it is more commonly called Apraxia. I am so glad to see a famous person come out about their struggles and how hard things can be for him it really gave me hope that Zach will be able to do things on his own. I hope it reaches others who struggle every day with the same disorder and gives them hope as well!

I can see the persistence in Zach's eyes when he can't do something and this like my friend Melissa said "It just made me think of Zach and how he could still have a hidden talent no one knows about yet!" You are so very right Melissa and thank you for sharing this with me, giving me a little sunshine and hope today!

1 comment:

eamonn obrien said...

Our daughter Anna is 5yrs old.She has been diagnosed with dyspraxia.She finds it hard sometimes to join in with other kids because she can't run as fast as them and falls over easily.However in the last year we have started physio and she is now recieving occupational therapy one day a week in school and is improving all the time altough her hand writing still needs work.Anna's greatest attribute is her willingness to try and she has become my little super hero ,and ia a testimond to the saying ''NEVER GIVE IN''
A very proud dad
Wicklow
Ireland